Sunday 19 August 2012

The Incredibly Paint Girl from Malaysia


The lovely artist who makes mind blowing art from everyday objects like books, coffee, basketballs, and even candles. Who she is? She is a girl artist called Hong Yi from Malaysia that made a lot incredible paint around the world. Her latest artwork that is famous nationwide is the Adele portrait that she made by using hot candle wax. I can barely light a candle without burning myself silly and cannot even draw a straight line so I'm definitely beyond impressed at her ability to mold hot burning wax into a portrait of Adele's 21 album cover. The portrait is part of a 4-part project where she will involve the basic elements fire, water, wind and earth. As you can guess, this is fire.

Wow! It’s fire, how she do it with candle hot wax? This is Hong Yi’s answer: “This took about 2 weeks to plan out - I spent about a week looking for the right materials for it, and another week on working out how to use hot candle wax as my 'paint'. The art piece itself took about 7 hours to complete, and I think I used about 1500 candles!”. Can you imagine all the work it takes to actually burn 1500 candles? If it were me, I think I’ll break down and stunned looking at the ample amount of candles I have to deal with.

She has a few incredible artworks, which really amaze me and inspired me to be creative. Her artwork let me understand that it is not necessary to use only brush to create an incredible artwork; we can use everything in our daily life to create it out. When dealing with arts, anything and everything can be a tool for art.

This Jay Chou portrait was inspired by the opening and closing lines in Jay Chou's song. The singer tells a heartbreak tale of a lost romance with a girl from 1979 who time-traveled forward 20 years and met Jay in 1999, and they fell in love. She then went back to 1979 and sketched a portrait of him. My painting is meant to look like a sepia-toned old photograph to capture the essence of this story.

The project took about 12 hours to finish. Coffee is quite a challenging medium to use - too little water and the rings would not form easily, too much water and the rings would blend into each other, resulting in just a deformed pool of coffee. It had to wait for the lighter parts too dry up before stamping on the darker rings, or else the rings would not be visible. All her ideas really inspired me a lot. It tells me that it takes the right combination of water to paint out the perfect shades or striking colors of a picture. So, I am still practicing the balancing of water in painting with a hope someday I can be like her with her as my idol of inspiration.


Reference:
Image
Red, H. Y. (2012, August 21). Setting Fire to Adele [Blog post]. Retrieved from Oh i see red  website: http://www.ohiseered.com/2012/08/adele-portrait.html

No comments:

Post a Comment